Team applications for the 2017 competition cycle are closed. Team applications for the 2018 competition will open in October/November of 2017.
Teams registering for the 2017 ULI Hines Student Competition can access the competition materials at OrgSync.
ULI invites teams from accredited educational institutions in the United States and Canada to participate in the ULI Hines Student Competition. Teams must be composed of graduate students pursuing a graduate degree while fully enrolled for the entire duration of the academic period during which the competition is conducted. For further details about team composition requirements, visit the How to Form a Team section.
Teams that wish to compete must submit the following information via an online application:
- Name and contact information for all five team members;
- Degree program information for all five team members;
- A one-page résumé for each of the five team members;
- Names and contact information for the team’s faculty advisers (up to two allowed from different disciplines);
- Names and contact information for the team’s professional advisers (up to two allowed from different disciplines);
- Signature of the department head of the sponsoring school; and
- Verification forms for each team member who is a part-time student or a fifth-year eligible student, such as BArch or BLA student.
Review the eligibility requirements below, form your team, and complete the online application at OrgSync to compete in the ULI Hines Student Competition. Applications will be accepted only via OrgSync; any applications submitted by e-mail will be discarded.
Members of the jury; the competition advisers; all officials, current employees, and recent former employees of the Urban Land Institute (ULI); the employees, students, and immediate family members of any of the aforementioned parties; and those whom ULI deems to present conflicts of interest are ineligible to compete. All students from the finalist teams in the 2015 and 2016 competitions are also ineligible.
ULI reserves the right to disqualify teams or to limit the number allowed to participate in the competition. Teams will be notified by e-mail to the student team leader as to their participation status after the application deadline has passed.
ULI reserves the right to limit the number of participating teams, and the advancing teams can be chosen based on geographic diversity, team statements, team makeup, university diversity, or any of the criteria listed above.
Overview: Create an OrgSync Account
Participation in the ULI Hines Student Competition requires the creation of an account on OrgSync, which will be your source for application forms and information during the competition period.
To create your team’s OrgSync account, you must have the following information ready:
- Team e-mail address. This address must be accessible by all team members.
- Six-digit team number. Each team must create a six-digit code that will be its identifier throughout the competition. The first two digits should be “17” reflecting this year’s cycle (e.g., 170000). This competition is judged anonymously; thus, this six-digit code will be the only identifying mark on any materials submitted (except during the application stage). If two teams have chosen the same six-digit code, the competition administrator will assign a new code and will notify you at your team e-mail address of such action.
Your team’s user name for OrgSync must use the following convention:
- First Name: Team
- Last Name: Six-digit team code
For example, a team that selects 171980 as its team code would have the user name Team 171980.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Creating an OrgSync Account
- Go to the following webpage: https://orgsync.com/join/57806/uli-gerald-d-hines-urban-design-competition.
- Click Not a Member? Register Now. Do not log in using an existing Facebook account or an existing OrgSync account. If faced with a pull-down menu, choose joining the Urban Land Institute among the different organization options.Please note: You may see a list of different universities on the pull down menu used by OrgSync’s different communities. This is not an option to look for or select your particular faculty. “Urban Land Institute” is the community that needs to be selected.
- Fill out the form with your team’s user name (as described above) and your team’s e-mail address, and select a password for the account.
- You will then be taken to the ULI Hines Student Competition portal.
- In the future, use this OrgSync link to log in.
- In order to preserve your team’s anonymity, click on the gears in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
Overview: Complete the Application
The general application form is to be submitted online and can be found in the Forms section of the ULI Hines Student Competition portal. Assemble the following information before starting the application:
- Designated student team leader;
- Contact information and degree information for each team member;
- One-page résumé in PDF format for each team member;
- Supplemental forms (described below);
- Name of faculty adviser(s); and
- Name of professional adviser(s) (if applicable).
Each team member is expected to verify his or her own information via a checkbox. For this reason, we recommend that the team complete the application as a group, or that each team member log in to fill out his or her information. Teams will be able to preview the form before filling it out.
These can be found in the Files section of the ULI Hines Student Competition portal.
- Each team must download, complete, and upload the Statement of Sponsoring School/Department/Program Head PDF form to verify each student’s enrollment status. The completed form must be uploaded as a PDF as indicated in the general application form.
- Verification PDF forms for fifth-year undergraduate eligible students (most commonly BArch or BLA students) and for part-time students must be downloaded, completed, and uploaded as a PDF as indicated in the general application form, if relevant.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Completing the Application
- Go to the Files section of the OrgSync portal and download the necessary verification forms. Every team is required to submit the Statement of Sponsoring School/Department/Program Head PDF form. Teams with part-time students or fifth-year BArch/BLA students are required to submit the appropriate verification form.
- Fill out the necessary verification forms and obtain the required signatures. Upload these forms to your team’s OrgSync account.
- Go to the Forms section of the OrgSync portal. Click on 2017 ULI Hines Student Competition − General Application and then click on Fill Out. Complete the application form and submit.
After you have successfully completed your application, your team e-mail account will receive a confirmation of receipt. A few days later, your team will receive an e-mail via the OrgSync messaging system containing your final application approval.