Reality Check brought together many of Southern California’s warring constituencies and led to a broader and more inclusive vision for the growth of the Los Angeles region.
Stuart R. Mork, Reality Check Chair, Los Angeles
What is Reality Check?
Over the past 15 years, regional visioning has emerged as a dynamic and important tool for building regional consensus related to growth issues. ULI’s regional visioning program of work assists District Councils and their partners as they plan, build upon, and implement regional exercises and visions.
- Is a visioning exercise that allows participants working in diverse groups of 8-10 regional leaders to allocate expected growth using chips or legos on large scale regional maps and asks the questions – How should we grow? Where should we grow?
- provides a region-wide awareness of the level of growth that is expected; to recognize the legitimate points of view of different stakeholders; and to lay the foundation for the development of a concrete list of next steps to assure quality growth to meet the region’s needs in the future.
- For more information on how to plan a Reality Check event, visit the Reality Check Guide.
- To learn more about Reality Check, view the short video prepared by ULI Washington.
Which Regions Have Participated in Reality Check?
- Los Angeles, CA (2005)
- Washington, DC (2005)
- North Texas (2005 & 2007)
- Baltimore, MD (2006)
- Tampa Bay, FL(2007)
- Charleston, SC (2007)
- Uplands region of South Carolina(2008)
- Seattle, WA (2008)
- Phoenix, AZ (2008)
- Triangle (2009)
- Jacksonville, FL (2009)
- Hampton Roads, VA (2012)