New Website and Blog
We are excited to announce that the ULI Infrastructure Initiative has a new website and blog! We’ll be updating our blog regularly with reviews of new research, trends, and innovations, focusing on the intersection of infrastructure and land use.
Read some of our latest posts:
- USDOT Talks MAP-21 with ULI. U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary for Transportation Policy Beth Osborne discusses new federal transportation law, highlighting the importance of state transportation departments and new performance measures.
- GAO Report on Bus Rapid Transit Finds Success Stories. Government review shows bus rapid transit projects improve service and can contribute to economic development.
- ULI Boston Releases Hub and Spoke Report. This report projects growth in transit ridership and calls for the region to address constraints on the transit system’s core capacity.
- Rachel MacCleery Tapped for World Economic Forum. Vice President for Infrastructure Rachel MacCleery will serve on the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on Infrastructure.
Join Us at the Fall Meeting!
We hope that you’re planning to join us for ULI’s Fall Meeting in Denver, Colorado, October 16-19. Build your network and learn about the latest infrastructure trends and topics. Enrique Peñalosa, president of the board for the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy, will speak at the Opening General Session on Wednesday morning.
- Federal Transportation Policy: What MAP-21 Means for You
- Cracking the Regional Nut: Transportation Planning, Funding, and Voting
- Bringing the City Back to the Airport: Denver International Airport and the Future of Airport Cities
- Denver FasTracks: Catching the Train to TOD Opportunities
- The Trifecta: Water, Private Capital, and Public Infrastructure
- Denver Union Station: Historic Station Anchors New Mixed-Use Multimodal Transportation Hub
- Are Canadian Models for Infrastructure Development an Answer to Infrastructure Challenges in the U.S.?
To see the full program and to register, visit www.ulifall.org.
Thank You to Infrastructure Update Readers!
In our last update, we requested leads on the use of special property assessments to support transit. The response exceeded all expectations. Thank you for all the excellent input and ideas! The article “Taxing for Transit,” the last in our Business on Board series exploring the role of the private sector in advancing transit, will be published in the September/October issue of Urban Land magazine.
Infrastructure in Urban Land
- “Hidden Transit: How Companies are Going the Last Mile,” by Sarah Jo Peterson. Employers and property managers are going the last mile to make sure that their facilities are well served by transit.
- “Around the World on Two Wheels,” by Martin Zimmerman. Bike sharing takes hold across the globe.
- “Transit-Oriented Development Outlook,” by Ron Nyren and members of the TOD Council. What can be done to ease the gridlock—on roads and in government?
- “Transportation Bill Signed into Law,” by Rachel MacCleery. MAP-21 will guide federal transportation policy for at least the next two years.
- “Multiblock Underground Parking,” by William P. Macht. Contiguous underground, shared parking can reduce development costs and support horizontal mixed-use density.
- “Waiting for the Robo-Garage?” by Jack Skelley. As land values rise, parking systems that automatically store and retrieve cars could start to pencil out.
For more information about any of these items, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 202-624-7162.
Join the ULI network. Learn more about the benefits of ULI membership at uli.org/membership.
Read Past Infrastructure Updates