About Westfield San Francisco Centre
Developer: Forest City Enterprises / Westfield, LLC
Owner: Forest City Enterprises / Westfield, LLC
Architect: RTKL Associates Inc. / Westfield Design / KPF (Kohn Pederson Fox)
Location: San Francisco, California
Why Westfield San Francisco Centre?
The ambitious redevelopment of San Francisco’s landmark Emporium Building has created one of the most significant urban mixed-use projects in the United States. Through the dynamic partnership of Forest City Development, The Westfield Group and Macy’s Inc., the WSFC renovation and expansion has restored one of the city’s most revered historic buildings and repositioned the site as a 21st century symbol of commerce, community and culture. Located in the city’s center above the busiest BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station and a few blocks south of newly refurbished Union Square, Westfield establishes a link with the Yerba Buena fashion district and the city’s adjacent cultural district which features the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and Metreon, a cutting edge entertainment center. Offering more than 170 specialty stores, high-quality dining options, Class-A office space, a gourmet market, and a nine-screen cinema, the project serves as an economic engine for downtown San Francisco, attracting more than 300,000 visitors per week.
- $460 million private investment revitalized an urban redevelopment site into an iconic public space.
- Project restored historic elements while integrating contemporary designs and sustainable building practices.
- Integrates design seamlessly with neighboring site and transit hub to create mixed-use, transit-oriented space.
- 95 percent leased; over $17.5M in property/sales tax contributed to city funds; more than 3,000 new jobs.
- Visitor traffic has increased 134 percent per month since opening.