About the Visionaire
Developer: Albanese Organization
Owner: Battery Place Green, LLC
Architect: Pelli Clark Pelli Architects
Location: New York, New York
Why the Visionaire?
The Visionaire is New York City’s newest and greenest mixed-use development, holding a vital place in one of the country’s most important sustainable urban neighborhoods, Battery Park City. The project combines 247 residential units; 4,300 square feet of retail space designated as an organic and local food market, a 44,000 square foot maintenance facility provided for the Battery Park City Parks Conservancy as well as below grade parking garage with 110 spaces. In April, 2009 the Visionaire achieved LEED Platinum certification. The 35 story glass and terra cotta building was designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects. Residential unit sizes range from studio to four bedroom homes. Through an integrated design approach, the building maximizes it’s energy efficiency while minimizing it’s impact on the external environment. Included in the design are state of the art systems and technologies such as natural gas fired absorption chillers, waste water reclamation, photovoltaic solar panels, geothermal wells, and a natural gas fired microturbine.
- The project was awarded LEED Platinum certification by the United States Green Building Counctil in April, 2009
- 29% reduction in potable water use through an on-site wastewater treatment plant, and re-use for toilets and HVAC
- Cohesion of high efficiency technologies and energy sources reduce aggregate energy usage by 42%
- The project is highly successful public/private partnership with the Battery Park City Authority
- Greenest mixed use high rise development in New York City