About the Eastside Project
Developer: The Mosites Company
Owner: Eastside LP
Architects: Perfido Weiskopf Wagstaff + Goettel Architects, MV+A Architects, Urban Design Associates, RSP Architects
Master Planner: The Design Alliance – EastSide Phase II, III, IV
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Why the Eastside Project?
The Eastside Project transforms a patchwork of 14.3 acres of distressed land in the heart of Pittsburgh’s east end into a zipper development that borrows economic strength from the affluent neighborhoods of Shadyside, Friendship and Highland Park to fuel the redevelopment of East Liberty, a commercial center plagued by a 40 year slide into decline. Eastside’s five phases have strategically built a new market, with each phase’s buildings, infrastructure, and new businesses, redefining expectations of what East Liberty could become. The development achieves higher density per acre by building a two-level retail commercial environment using grades and a deck to create two “ground levels,” which make the market connection between the previously isolated business districts. Eastside I & II are complete, tenanted and operated. Eastside V (Target), co-anchor of the Eastside strategy is under construction and due to open July 2011. Eastside III & IV (Transit Gateway) are in advanced planning and marketing.
The Eastside Project…
- Innovative higher density multilevel scheme that bridges a physical and market divide
- Redefined a failing regional commercial market place by strategic business recruitment into a high-value environment
- Is an exemplary collaboration among public, community and private partners to achieve something unattainable individually
- Reset expectations for future development leading to a higher value master-development strategy
- Is one of the first LEED Gold certified projects in Pittsburgh and among the first LEED Core and Shell projects in the USA