About the Avenue
Why the Avenue?
The Avenue, a highly successful mixed-used development designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects, occupies a 2.66 acre site with 440,000 SF of office space, 328,000 SF of residential space (approximately 335 dwelling units), and 72,000 SF of retail space. A 28,000 SF interior courtyard located at the heart of the site can be accessed by the office component, positioned on Pennsylvania Avenue, and the residential component, located on I Street between 22nd and 23rd Street. This landscaped open space sits above five underground parking levels that accommodate approximately 1,000 vehicles, as well as loading for the office, residential and retail. The office component, two East and West towers connected by a three-story glass atrium lobby opening on Pennsylvania Avenue, was awarded LEED GOLD CS certification in September 2011. A grand, two-story entrance on I Street similarly joins the two portions of the residential block.
- Transformation of an under-utilized piece of land into one of the most dynamic developments in the country.
- World-class architecture that successfully mediates the scale and materiality of neighboring buildings.
- The office and parking garage components were awarded LEED GOLD CS Certification.
- Proof that quality design, sustainability and the provision of public space also generate a high investment return.
- A highly successful private/university partnership project that strengthens the neighborhood and the university.