About the Rouse Hill Town Centre
Developer/Owner: The GPT Group
Architect: Allen Jack + Cottier, Rice Daubney and Group GSA; Civitas Urban Design and Planning (master planner)
Location: Rouse Hill, Australia
Why the Rouse Hill Town Centre?
Rouse Hill Town Centre (RHTC) is Australia’s first regional shopping centre to demonstrate a comprehensive approach to world class social and environmental sustainability, proving that responsible property can be delivered profitably. The 19ha project cost $470million and was developed within the context of a masterplan prepared by a joint venture between Lend Lease and GPT (The New Rouse Hill) in partnership with the Department of Planning and Landcom. High aspirations from both GPT and Government partners have led to the delivery of a leading edge, mixed use centre that features premium retail, residential above street level, office and community and learning facilities. Launched March 2008, RHTC combines great architecture, fantastic retail choices, active public spaces and sustainable design to deliver an authentic and contemporary Australian town centre. RHTC opened fully leased and has met its operational ESD targets. The development has had a ripple effect on the retail and greater property industry, winning numerous prestigious awards for design, innovation and sustainability.
The Rouse Hill Town Centre…
- Australian first; proving environmentally and socially responsible property can be delivered profitably.
- Balances a pedestrian friendly and environmentally sustainable town centre with local culture, heritage, landscape.
- Opened fully leased, meeting its operational ESD targets (Reduced ecological footprint by 32% after yr1 of operation).
- Introduced mandatory “green-leases” for tenants; setting minimum standards for energy and water use and fit out materials.
- Set a new standard in international shopping centre design; revered by industry and peers.