About Darling Quarter
Developer: Lend Lease
Owner: Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority, Darling Quarter public domain, APPF Commercial: Commonwealth Bank Place
Designer: fjmt (architect and urban design), ASPECT Studios (landscape architect and public domain design)
Why Darling Quarter?
Darling Quarter is a major 1.5 hectare place making project that has transformed the public domain of Darling Harbour, one of Australia’s most visited destinations. The new A$ 500 million precinct integrates Commonwealth Bank Place (CBP), two large (total 57,000 m2 NLA) campus-styled 6 Star Green Star (world leadership) commercial buildings, within a public domain that comprises new pedestrian connections a retail terrace with new cafes, restaurants and bars, generous grassed community areas, a 300 seat children’s theatre and an innovative playground as its centre piece. The spectacular world-class 4,000sqm playground is one of the largest illuminated playgrounds in the country and a regional attractor to the city. The playground is one of Australia’s largest play areas that integrate interactive water play in an urban landscaped environment.
- Sustainable leadership – world leading precinct-wide environmental and social sustainable initiatives
- Place making initiatives to ensure community activation & longevity-playground, community green, kid’s theatre, retail
- Partnerships – between private developer, government body and tenant to create Sydney’s most vibrant precinct
- Financial model – Sydney’s largest commercial development underpinned public facilities & world class family precinct
- Lighting strategy – to ensure night activation and public engagement in the 160m long interactive digital facade