POSITION SUMMARY: The ULI Houston District Council is searching for a District Council Manager to join their team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for urban planning and possess a strong background in marketing, event planning, and communications. The District Council Manager’s overall responsibility will include acting as the primary meeting planner for multiple Texas-wide large scale events each year. This entails working closely with the Executive Director, Manager, Chair, volunteers, and other committee members to set the vision and execute the logistics.
The District Council Manager is a professional position within the District Council, serving as liaison between the Texas District Council offices and ULI headquarters in Washington, DC, ensuring that all work is consistent with ULI’s policies and procedures, and that ULI Houston’s goals and objectives are met and ULI’s mission is carried forth.
Due to the nature of the position with a non-profit organization, the Manager must be highly-motivated, detail-oriented, well-organized, and have a passion and ability to guide and support professionals involved in the District Council’s program of work. The Manager is courteous and friendly as the face of the ULI and the District Council. The District Council Manager has a flexible work style and a familiarity with the major metropolitan areas within the state of Texas. The District Council Manager will need to travel(10%) to ULI District Council events throughout Texas. This position will be located in Houston, TX.
- Develop and maintain key external strategic alliances with other professional, academic, public sector and non-profit organizations
- Support the Executive Director, Chair, and Management Committee in its administration and in leadership development and succession
- Assist Communications and Program Committee in managing all logistical aspects of planning and implementing regional and statewide programs
- Work with various other ad hoc committees created for special projects.
- Develop and implement community outreach initiatives that are aligned with the ULI mission and the district council’s 5 year strategic plan
- Act as main liaison between ULI Houston staff and the Texas-wide District Council staff/volunteers in Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin and San Antonio; attend various meetings and events as required and report to Executive Director
- Serve as the Texas regional point person to coordinate an all Texas Council Forum in September 2014 which includes managing the budget, timeline, and all logistical aspects with members, volunteers, vendors, etc.
- Support committees by sending meeting notices, tracking RSVPs, updating committee lists, assisting with recruiting and retaining volunteers, and preparing for committee meetings
- Interface with committees to ensure individual assignments are accomplished between committee meetings
- Attend advisory board and committee meetings, produce minutes, and disseminate to committee members and ULI staff
- Prepare event collateral including: agendas, speaker bios, Power Point presentations
- Develop strategies and systems that ensure the success of organizing multiple events and meetings
- Manage and implement funds received through The Urban Innovation Grant
- Develop programs and practices to recruit, satisfy and retain volunteer members involved in all local programs, committees and other activities
- Manage and maintain day-to-day District Council operations including but not limited to managing files; databases; records; calendars; inventories
- Access records from ULI’s database to generate labels, reports, meeting rosters, badges, etc.
- Receive and answer phone/email inquiries from members and prospects
- Perform various administrative duties and special projects as required as part of the District Council team
Maintain daily positive working relationships working with the District Council Executive Director, Manager, and San Antonio Leadership and Coordinator. Work directly and successfully with ULI headquarters staff and disseminate information to applicable departments, as needed.
Develop and maintain ongoing working relationships with Texas-wide District Council committee members, contractors; ULI members and prospective members; representatives of member firms, sponsors, media, and vendors; and contracted personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in marketing, communications, public affairs and/or public relations
- Experience in events management
- Knowledge of land use planning and real estate development industry
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point)
- Experience with social media marketing, and networking
- Ability to edit blogs and website content
- Strong written and oral communications and interpersonal skills to work with senior business and public sector executives
- Experience sourcing, hiring, and managing vendor relationships to achieve desired results within budget
- Ability to initiate tasks and assume responsibility, and to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment with a high-volume of work
- Ability to prioritize tasks, to handle multiple tasks concurrently and completely, with responsible follow-through
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Use of personal vehicle
- Ability to set up and tear down events
- Ability to attend regular early morning and evening events in Houston
- Ability to travel to ULI events occasionally in other locations in Texas and the USA
- Non-profit management, a plus
- Ability to produce marketing material of a professional quality using Adobe InDesign, a plus
Please submit your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com Please indicate the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your e-mail. No relocation is offered at this time.
The Urban Land Institute is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. (M/F/D/V).