The ULI Rose Center hosted the Mayors’ Forum on the role of public-private partnerships in city building during the ULI Fall Meeting in Denver, CO. The event contained two moderated panel discussions focused on cross-sector discussion regarding public/private partnerships and how PPPs represent the nexus between the public sector’s needs and the private sector’s goals.
Mayors’ Forum on the role of public-private partnerships in city building
Thursday, October 18, 2012 l Forum: 2:30-5:30 pm
Embassy Suites Denver Downtown/Convention Center
1420 Stout Street l Crestone Ballroom (3rd Floor)
Public/Private Partnership Practitioners’ Panel A facilitated conversation between public- and private-sector practitioners will discuss balancing public benefits with private risk.
Moderator: Helen Chin, Program Officer, Surdna Foundation – moderator
- Gene Conti, Secretary of Transportation, State of North Carolina (2010-2011 Rose Fellow)
- Tracy Huggins, Executive Director, Denver Urban Renewal Authority
- Bert Mathews, President, Mathews Development Company (2009-2010 Rose Fellow)
- Greg Weaver, Executive VP, Catellus Development Corp
Mayors’ Panel on Public/Private Partnership The mayors will examine shared challenges and opportunities of public leadership in shaping a city’s urban spaces and revitalizing neighborhoods. They will also share their cities’ experience with ULI and the Daniel Rose Fellowship, and take questions from the audience.
Moderator: Henry Cisneros, Founder and Chair, CityView, Los Angeles, CA
Former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (1993-97) and Mayor of San Antonio (1981-89)
2011-2012 Rose Fellows:
- The Honorable Bob Buckhorn, Mayor of Tampa
- The Honorable Sly James, Mayor of Kansas City
- The Honorable Jean Quan, Mayor of Oakland
- The Honorable Angel Taveras, Mayor of Providence
2012-2013 Rose Fellows:
- The Honorable Greg Fischer, Mayor of Louisville
- The Honorable Pedro E. Segarra, Mayor of Hartford
- The Honorable Marilyn Strickland, Mayor of Tacoma
A reception honoring public-sector attendees followed immediately afterward. This event was free to Fall Meeting registrants. Videos and photos the event are accessible by clicking on the links to the right.